It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 2:46 pm

Nancy voicing questions…

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

RaymondList

Re: Nancy voicing questions…

PostThu Jun 22, 2023 3:40 pm

My MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon running Ventura runs Hauptwerk just fine (no tuning needed).
Ray
Ray

B777Captain

PostFri Jun 23, 2023 2:32 pm

RaymondList….

Are you running the Nancy sample set at all 4 perspectives with CPU not in the red or having distortion?

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

RaymondList

PostFri Jun 23, 2023 2:40 pm

I do not have the Nancy sample set. My comment was just in regards to MacOS and Hauptwerk.
Ray

mnailor

PostFri Jun 23, 2023 3:43 pm

Pat, since Hauptwerk 7 runs on Ventura (MacOS 13), you could look at the Mac Studio with M2 Ultra 24 core. It has more CPU capacity than my i9-12900K, based on early benchmarks, so we know it should run Nancy full out. Macs don't require the tuning for audio that Windows needs. You'd want to make sure your audio and MIDI interfaces have drivers for MacOS 13 first.

B777Captain

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 3:31 pm

Thanks Mark.

I think you mentioned once before, but do you have Mac or PC for your setup? I presume a PC since you mention the CPU you have….

I’m wondering: If I get that Mac computer, will I need new monitors to handle a Mac? I know I’ll need new sample sets for the Mac as well.

Basically just wondering what the changeover would entail if I switch to the Mac Platform. I started my HW career with the Mac and did like the simplicity of it as I had used Mac computers prior to that.

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

marcus.reeves

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 4:23 pm

B777Captain wrote:Thanks Mark.

I think you mentioned once before, but do you have Mac or PC for your setup? I presume a PC since you mention the CPU you have….

I’m wondering: If I get that Mac computer, will I need new monitors to handle a Mac? I know I’ll need new sample sets for the Mac as well.

Basically just wondering what the changeover would entail if I switch to the Mac Platform. I started my HW career with the Mac and did like the simplicity of it as I had used Mac computers prior to that.

Pat

Why will you need new sample sets? They aren’t OS specific and will work on both the Windows and MacOS version of HW.

Do you use touchscreen monitors? If so, all you’ll need for them to work with a Mac is a driver from a company such as TouchBase.
Best wishes,
Marcus

mnailor

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 6:16 pm

Pat, I use a Windows 11 PC for Hauptwerk. Have never used a Mac. I've mostly been a Linux programmer but Windows is pretty familiar to me.

B777Captain

PostFri Jun 30, 2023 5:16 pm

Ok. I thought there would be a difference simply because of the software difference of almost (all?) other software programs only made for one or the other platforms. Is there no difference in software for the different platforms on Mac vs Window? I thought there was since every other software was specific (?) to the windows or Mac platform.

Yes, I do use two touchscreens so will have to do what is necessary for them if I decide to change to the Apple computer.

Seems to me when I first had HW using a Mac, there was a somewhat large restriction of memory use that couldn’t be used for the HW software but rather was taken up by the Mac OS in the form of memory usage. Is that still the case vs the Windows OS?

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mnailor

PostFri Jun 30, 2023 5:24 pm

Recent Mac OS versions do need to reserve more memory than Windows does. Maybe someone with a recent Mac can say how much has to be free.

Samplesets are data, not really executable programs. You're right that programs don't run the same build (executable image) on Mac, Windows, or Linux or Android.

mdyde

PostSat Jul 01, 2023 3:23 am

Hello Pat,

To add to Mark's reply:

- On Macs it's generally possible to use about 65% of the physical RAM for Hauptwerk, whereas on Windows it's often possible to use somewhat more (e.g. 80%). Hence you do potentially need a computer with more RAM if getting a Mac.

- Both Mac and Windows versions of Hauptwerk are available for download from the main Hauptwerk website: https://www.hauptwerk.com/

- Your Hauptwerk and sample set licences can be used on any computer, regardless of whether it's a Mac or a PC -- you just need to make sure that iLok License Manager is installed and then connect the dongle.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

B777Captain

PostFri Jul 07, 2023 2:07 pm

Martin…

When I load my Nancy on my current system, I recall using what I think is.a LOT of RAM. I watch it count down and while I haven’t done it in a while (as I’m having fun with the Aristide sample currently), it seems I was using about 90 of RAM… it was a lot. This was using all 4 perspectives. I haven’t done this check since I went down to just 3 perspectives.

I’m a little concerned about having enough RAM to operate Nancy in full perspectives with 128 RAM using a Mac computer.
If I’m only able to use 65% of RAM for the Nancy, I am worried if I go to a Mac, I won’t have enough RAM.

Would you suggest a RAM of say… 256 for any Mac computer I would consider??

Thanks Martin

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mnailor

PostFri Jul 07, 2023 2:53 pm

I just loaded Nancy full -- 24 bit, 4 perspectives, full releases -- on my 128 GB PC. It started with 122.4 GB free, and ended at 42.1 GB free, so it took 80.3 GB. I omit any blower or tremulant motor ranks, so I'd use Piotr's estimate of 83 GB to be safe.

Then 83 GB / 128 GB gives you 64.8% of memory used. 83 / 192 uses 43%.

The Mac Studio with M2 Ultra 24 core can have 128 or 192 GB, and has enough CPU capacity for Nancy.
Last edited by mnailor on Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostFri Jul 07, 2023 3:15 pm

Hello Pat,

To add to Mark's reply (thanks very much as always, Mark), and given how much RAM Mark reports that the sample set needs, if you do want to go for a Mac Studio, I'd recommend going for the one with 192 GB of RAM for good measure (especially to allow some room for future-proofing, and since each new OS version tends to use a bit more RAM than the last).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

B777Captain

PostFri Jul 07, 2023 5:41 pm

Thanks as always to both of you!!!

Mark, with that full config for Nancy, do you find your CPU going into the red when playing a 10 finger note or similar in any style music played?

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mnailor

PostFri Jul 07, 2023 6:31 pm

B777Captain wrote:Thanks as always to both of you!!!

Mark, with that full config for Nancy, do you find your CPU going into the red when playing a 10 finger note or similar in any style music played?

Pat

If I bang big chords on full organ repeatedly to stress it, I can get the CPU meter up to one red bar. No pieces I can actually play go into yellow or red, but my left hand is atrophied so that's not saying very much. This is the i9-12900K Windows 11 with polyphony limit 16k, sample rate 96k and buffer 1024. I expect, based on public benchmarks, that the 24 core M2 Ultra is faster than mine, which is why I suggested that CPU for a Mac.
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments